Tony Hawk: Ride (also known as by its working title Tony Hawk's Adrenaline) is the tenth edition of the Tony Hawk franchise. The game was released on November 17, 2009 for PlayStation 3, Wii, and Xbox 360. It was released in Australia on March 10, 2010.
In Ride, the player uses the skateboard peripheral to simulate the riding of an actual skateboard in the game. The peripheral, shaped just like a real skateboard, is equipped with infrared sensors to detect motion and display it on-screen. Turning, leaning, hopping, and other actions all reflect in the game realistically.
- In February 2008, publisher Activision said that the game was currently undergoing research and testing. The publisher also said at the time that the game will be a "re-engineering [for] the franchise" and said that there will be "a new direction for the brand."
- In May 2008, Activision spoke more about the new game. During a quarterly earnings conference, the company again confirmed that the new game would "deliver the kind of breakthrough this franchise needs." At the same time, Activision confirmed that the new game would not be released in 2008, but is scheduled to be out before their 2010 fiscal year ends. *This would put the window of release between April 1, 2009 and March 31, 2010.
- On December 3, 2008 Activision announced a new motion sensing balance board peripheral that players will "put down the controller, step on the board, and feel the sensation of going big... Shift your weight to turn and balance grinds, kick back on the tail of the board to ollie, and lean into airs to pull off huge spins."
- On May 15, 2009, it was announced that the game will not be called Tony Hawk's Adrenaline, but instead Tony Hawk: Ride. The soundtrack is also confirmed, including The Fold with their track "Neverender" and Green Day's "Murder City".
- On May 25, 2009, GameStop listed the product at US$119.99 with an October 13, 2009 release date, though both were unconfirmed by the developer.
- On August 6, 2009, Tony Hawk: Ride was dated for November 20 in the UK, and priced at £99.99 ($169). It was also given a limited edition at UK retailer Game.
On August 10, 2009, Tony Hawk: Ride was dated for November 17 in the United States priced at $120.